Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Morning Gem

Do you remember what it was like getting up early for school when you were a kid?

It was tortuously early and often still dark. Kind of a cruel trick, if you ask me. But here we go again.

Brady P does not like to get up for school. He wants to lay in his bed until breakfast is ready. It takes a great amount of coaxing to make him pee in the potty and get dressed. 

The most common words I hear on school mornings are: "No!" "Go away!" and "Just one more minute!" 

Ugh.

Luckily, he is a big fan of walking/running to school, so he will at least get out the door when we're ready.

Every victory counts.

On the weekends, it's a different story.

No alarms for either one of us. Another victory!

He wakes up with the light of day, gets out of bed, closes his door, closes the bathroom door and jumps into bed with me.

On those mornings, he is an absolute gem. So much that I had to write about it.

"Good morning!" he chirps as he climbs over me and rolls into his spot.

"Mummy! I had a dream last night!"

"Oh! What was your dream?" I ask.

Then he tells me his dream. It usually involves playing animals with his Grammy Linda and cousin Lauren, but he adds variations.

Then he asks, "What's your dream?"

You know, I dreamt, but I usually either can't remember or don't think it's appropriate to share. I'm just honest with him about that. He is disappointed, but he gets over it quickly.

Haha. Even when I remember my dreams, he is never too interested.

But there we are. Lying face to face. His adorable little cheeks are rosy and his smile is so bright.

He kisses my lips.

"I love you, Mum."

"Aww, I love you too, Dovie."

"I love you sooooooo much forever and ever."

"Oh, Honey, you are the sweetest!"

"You are the sweetest!" he says.

Then we snuggle closer and stare into each other's eyes. My heart fills with love, magic and gratitude. 

Wide eyes staring

I thank him everyday for coming into my life. I know he is the best gift I could have received in this lifetime, and being his mother is my greatest honor.

It can be difficult at times, but I wouldn't trade it.

No comments:

Post a Comment