Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Little Victories

I think I've alluded to the fact that school mornings are get-up-and-go with no dilly dallying.

He's got to have his one bite (thyroid medicine), pee on the potty, get dressed and ride horses.

No wait, Mom. It's not ride horses. It's eat breakfast.

Oh yeah.

Haha. That is our song each morning to stay on task.

Then, when the big hand is on the nine, I put his shoes, hat, jacket and mittens out for him to choose which goes on next. Usually, during this process, I have to prod him to pick what goes on next and help him put it on.

But this morning, something changed.

I laid out his clothes when the big hand was on the nine. I told him I was going to put my boots on, and, I kid you not, by the time I slid my feet into both boots, I looked over and he had his hat and jacket on.

"Look, Mummy!" he showed me proudly.

Then he sat right down next to his shoes.

"Okay," he sing-songed. "Now my shoes!"

"Are you going to put them on by yourself?" I asked.

"Yes, Mummy."

And I watched in amazement as he did -- ever so diligently. Even the straps before and after. 

He tried his mittens by himself too (yes, it's still cold here!), but I had to help him with one of them.

I knelt down by him and hugged him so tight.

"I am so proud of you, P Pie! You can get your things on all by yourself! What a big boy, you are!"

"Yes, Mummy." he said. "Okay, let's go out!"

What used to be a terribly long, drawn out struggle turned into a quick two minute process. I know not everyday will be perfect like that, but what an amazing step forward!

My little independent boy. I am so proud of him.  He can do it, he wants to do it and he actually does it.

It's still a bit early to imagine this entirely, but someday, all the troubleshooting and struggling we do in a day, just to get through, will be done (or different!). I will have so much more energy for more productive things!

But right now, they are all teaching moments and guidance and persistence. Oof. It's been a lot, but we are getting there, and those little victories like we had this morning sure make it all worth the effort!

Chucking rocks in his duds

Thank you to everybody who believes in him.

1 comment: