Wednesday, April 10, 2019


Watch out, Harbor lover.  I'm 'bout to go old school on yo' behind!


That the that the that that that lake
That the that the that that that lake 
That the that the that that that lake 
She's open!  She's open!

Yeah, boyeeee!

Okay, I don't really mean old school like that... more like reminiscent of  the Little Slice of da Harbor days.  You know, when I was excited about every little thing that meant spring was coming.  Or the buoy was back.  Or the berries were out.  Etc.

Here we go.

On Sunday evening, I took the M-26 Lakeshore Drive on my way back from a weekend in my hometown.  On a whim, I turned off in Phoenix thinking, Okay, lemme just see what's out there.  Even though last time I was severely disappointed.

But this time Eagle River Falls was ripping.  I should have stopped.  Jacob's Falls was getting there.  Great Sand Bay and Eagle Harbor were still pretty ice locked.  I decided not to get my hopes up.

But just before Eagle Rock Studio and the Lizzadro Preserve, I saw splashes near the shore.

Wha-- whaaaaat???

I stared in disbelief.  

I should have stopped driving, but then Brady P. and I would never have gotten home.

I rolled the window down to try to hear Her Majesty's voice whispering in my ear and feel her breath on my face.  I began to tremble and weep.

You might think I'm crazy, but I don't care.  I was under her spell.

At Hebard Park, I pulled off the road, told Brady P. I'll be right back and skipped a few yards toward the shore.

Oh my gosh golly gee whiz.  I was home.

I flung my hands in the air Titanic movie-style and bawled.  Thank you, Lake!  I missed you!  Oh my God, it's so wonderful to see you again!  Oh, thank you!  Thank you!

After a few moments of that, I had the mind to shut my wailing trap and listen for a bit.  Just listen -- still trembling, mind you -- but listening.

It was almost as revitalizing as actually jumping in.  Now, if I didn't have to drive Wee Man home and there wasn't still ice chunks floating around, I probably would have.  But one brain cell still worked in my mesmerized mind, so I did the smart thing.

Still weeping (Braeden thought I was nuts), I drove back to da Harbor.  The harbor itself was still frozen.  Oh well.  I was coming down from my first open water experience of the year, so I could handle it.

But then, guess what???

The.  Very.  Next.  Day... 

The very next day, the harbor was open!!!

My brain tricked me into thinking it was still frozen when I took Braeden to school that morning, so when I got home, I fluttered about getting ready to start as many projects as I could in my two-and-a-half hours of B-less-ness.

Then, on my way up the front stairs, my eyes registered waves down the road.  I stopped in my tracks and stared again, squinting in disbelief.

The harbor is open!!!  I must go!!!

So I plunked my screw gun onto the stairs, yanked my bike off the hook and coasted down the road with my heart beaming out of my chest. 

I dropped my bike in the snow and ran to the edge at the rock line (somewhere under all that snow!).

But within seconds, I said, screw it, and walked down to the very edge of the ice.  The pieces floating by were at least a foot thick, so I figured I'd be fine.  Besides, I was two blocks away from a warm house and dry clothes.

I crept to the edge on my knees and took a big scoop of that holy water.  I rubbed it all over my face and squealed.

Spring has sprung, baby.  And my heart is light.  I am grateful. Yee haw!

Today I went down to get a couple pictures for you.  The sun was beaming, but the NNE winds blew lots of the ice pack back toward the shore.  I did my best to show you it's really open.

 Shot from the edge of the ice
Trying to show the open water towards Porter's Island

Alright, homie.  Peace out!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, the sweet sound of Superior is always so mesmerizing. I’m glad you and Brady are back where you belong. Spring is coming to the north country!