Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Limitless

This kid.

He never ceases to amaze me.

A couple days ago, we were playing the "guessing game" with his National Geographic animal cards. I like these cards because the animals usually have two or three words to describe them. They are often pictures and facts about a specific species.

Animals like: Mexican fireleg tarantula, Harlequin ghost pipefish, South American gray fox, Rock hopper penguin, etc.

All those animals are really neat. But do you want to know the neatest part?

Brady P. can read all those names.

*** MIND BLOW!!!***

I mean, sure, he has seen those cards dozens of times. Maybe he is memorizing some of the names, but we have at least 50 of those cards (can't have enough!), so he does rely on the words for cues. I can see his eyes roll over the words as he says them.

He is reading those words!

My heavens. The pride of this mama just swells  1,000% when he does things that might otherwise seem, well, impossible to others.

He is defying the odds.  Breaking boundaries of everybody's expectations. The maturing of this little man is truly a magical process to watch. I can't believe I get to be front and center every day. Though he can be a lot to handle at times, the rewards that spout forth from him are seemingly endless and limitless.

He is a good problem solver too. The other day we went out for a walk/run, and he stopped down at the Jamsen's Bakery/King Copper beach. There was too much snow on the rocks to throw them, so he threw snowballs instead!

Ready to launch!

He usually finds a way to have fun. I am still learning from him. Especially when it comes to animals. And how much a hug can mean. And the power of absolute silliness.

But he is also learning quickly from me too. For me to not teach him something because I don't think he'll learn is only error on my part.

For instance, I watched him set his eyeglasses on the table with the lens side down for over a year. I winced each time and silently flipped them over. But then I thought, "well, what if he just set them with the bows down himself?"

So I told him it's better for his glasses when he sets the bow side down. He remembered by the second time I told him that. It took almost a year to get him to set them down nicely instead of throwing them, so I just tolerated the lens side down, I guess. 

I settled.

But again, that is my error.

Never settle. The possibilities are endless!

Brady doesn't settle. He likes to be helpful. He likes to do things the "right way" once he knows why. He likes to put things where they go and back where he found them. I feel so fortunate to have a child like that!

So we will keep teaching each other. Patience is a virtue, and love is key. But pushing the envelope will help us change the world.

Anyone can do it.

All the power to you, my friend!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda, thank you for continuing your posts with Brady P.! He’s such an awesome child!! Mark and I have “toddler” of our own again, an Aussiedoodle named Jodie. She will be 2 in January. She is constantly teaching us how this big old world works through her eyes and mind! She taught us how to play hide and seek with her milk bone, it wasn’t anything we taught her. She’ll hide it in a different spot every.single.time and come to us to help us find it. She also taught Mark that she loves catching his golf chip shots with whiffle balls. So many more things too. We are constantly amazed! If we keep our hearts and minds open, kids and animals can teach us so much! ❤️
    Wishing you and Brady P. a very Merry Christmas and a blessed new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jodie's mom! That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Yes, it's amazing what we learn from others when we pay attention!
      ~ Amanda

      Delete
  2. You deserve all the rewards you can recognize Amanda!.. truly inspiring. Thank you, M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, M! Well, that is sweet of you! Thanks for reading and appreciating!
      ~ Amanda

      Delete
  3. Amanda
    You are so inspiring!
    I love to hear about Brady and your adventures! God bless and wishing you both a Merry Christmas and a beautiful New Year!

    ReplyDelete