Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Always Learning

Aloha!

I hope you survived the latest storm. I don't think any state in the continental 48 was exempt from that. 

Da harbor was pretty much shut down, I heard. I wasn't even there to witness the winds and drifts building out of control. That's a weird, slightly helpless yet relieved feeling. 

I went to my parents' house where I got to meet my new niece, Ruby! She was born to my brother and his awesome wife. Ruby is 5 months old and so precious! I love those guys.

Brady was jealous I held her for a few naps though...

It was puzzling.

Here is something for you to ponder.

B can read at the third grade level. He can name more animal species than almost every adult I know. He likes his space picked up and organized.

He understands that every human is worth asking their name along with a hug or handshake. He is amazingly compassionate and helpful if someone gets hurt or is sad.

But what he can't yet do is recognize his own emotions very well.

When he is having a hard time, he either shuts down or acts out for attention (if that's what he was seeking) in a negative way. 

After dealing with his new, slightly aggressive behavior at my parents' house, we began to realize what was going on. I gave a little talk to everyone with him in the room.

Once we were all on the same page, his behavior changed. He would sit on our laps and snuggle with us for attention instead of throwing things.

Cuz the latter just ain't safe!

B has a great team throughout his family and school, and we are all trying to work through this. It's important to get it right because he is honing and navigating those emotional neural pathways.

It's interesting because he is a genius in some aspects, but a toddler in others.

We all learn a lot and practice patience.

Back to the family story, he was such a stinker that we told him Santa wasn't going to come. But Santa didn't get the memo in time, and he came anyway.

The big guy found us!

Thanks, Santa!

I hope you are in good spirits and ready for a new year!

But if you're not, please realize you shouldn't have to wait for a new year to make a change in your life -- if you need one.

You can do it any day you wake up. Or any minute you feel you've had enough.

Believe in yourself today, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment