Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Mountain Man

Last week we had a fiery tunnel, now we have a golden highway!

My pictures don't do justice

The trees up here are pretty spectacular... still! 

Brady P likes to kick the fallen leaves on the trails as he hikes along.

And he loooooooves to hike!

It started a couple years ago when he would start following a trail for curiosity's sake. The thought of what would be around the next corner intrigued him so much that he would not stop until he was bushed -- sitting in the middle of the trail until he finally threw his arms up and whined, "Carry me!"

If you've ever hiked in the Keweenaw, you know the trails are not flat -- terrain or elevation-wise. 

So during much of those couple years I tried to curb the places he could see because he would just take off. I would shout, "Nope!  Stop! Turn around! Remember, once you stop, you still have to walk all the way back. You are too big to carry that far!"

But he would go.

I had three choices: Carry him back from far away, chase after him and carry him home before he got too far or not take him by trails he liked to go on.

That is not the life we wanted.

But he got stronger, and so did his love for nature.

Now I just bring snacks and water, and we can hike off into the sunset!

Oh my heart!!!

I am now adventuring with my own flesh and blood! My little sidekick is really kicking it! Over the rivers and through the woods!

I think he could easily cover a handful of miles. I'm planning some new destination routes for us... hopefully we can get to a couple of them before it turns too wintery.

But, what a great hiking buddy!

When he looks up from the bottom of a tough climb, he'll make this grunting sound (like I do) and hold his hand back to me (cuz he likes to lead!) and say, "I'll do it by myself!"

You better believe he does! Sometimes he even takes the harder ways like over a tousle of roots or atop a rock spine.

When we get to the top of a gnarly descent, he'll take a deep breath and remind me that he can do it by himself. At the bottom he'll shout, "I did great!"

"Yes, you did, Dove!" I'll echo.

Getting down a steep bridge by himself!

He also likes to read the trail signs. Well, I often read them the first time past, but he sure remembers them. 

Yesterday we doubled back on the Red Trail. We passed a sign that said "Caution Brigde."

"That's right!" he said.

I laughed at his confirmation to the sign. Like, the sign just knew!

He loves watching the water as we cross bridges. He delights in bridge and rock features. He tells me all the animals he sees. He remembers the names of the trails, the lakes and the special places we name ourselves. Here he is having his snack on our newly dubbed P. Pie Peak.

P. Pie Peak!

I am so pleased that this little man's strength and stamina has finally matched his passion and curiosity for roaming in nature. I see a fun, adventurous future in store for us!

5 comments:

  1. Brady - you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Amanda...Just like you and Brady P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful experiences...thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

  4. May you two have many soul nourishing adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does seem like Fall color is hanging on longer than normal this year which is just fine with me 🍁 I’m so happy to hear that BradyP’s stamina is starting to match his long standing ambition! Take care, M

    ReplyDelete