Wednesday, March 23, 2022

And So This Is Springtime

It's ironic that I had a few ideas ready for today, but they got trumped after we went and played in the snow this afternoon. (I suppose I should disclose the fact that often I sit here and look at a blank screen and try to think of what to write about. Therein lies the irony of today. I'll take it!)

Happy Spring, by the way.

Today was a snow day, and school was cancelled.

There's another... irony.

But maybe not for the Keweenaw.

It was a warm snow day, however. And when I shoveled my porch, I realized that we had gotten a 6-7 fresh inches of perfect packing snow.

"Braeds! We're going to build a snowman!" I announced after lunch.

"Okay, Mummy!"

We did a couple runs on the sled. Then I asked him where we should make our snowman. "In a secret spot or for everyone to see?"

"Everyone to see," he replied.

"How about on the roof?!?"

"Let's do it!"

So we climbed on the roof from the snowbank because they are the same height. Ha! I rolled the big boulders and got him packing snow around them to keep him busy. He also enjoyed throwing snowballs into the street.

We actually made two snowmen. And we decorated them with party gear. We were so proud!

Our selfie with our snow partiers

Then we played and played and played.

We sledded. We threw snowballs at each other (not in the face, though). Then I had the idea to strap on my Hok skis and glide around the yard. 

Oh man. It was so fun!

B got the idea to practice pretend calling for 9-1-1. (Remember when I had to teach him that after my concussion? He's getting it!)

"Mummy, you crash and die," he suggested. I know it sounds morbid, but we only call when someone is unresponsive.

So I crashed and laid there with my tongue hanging out while he called for the ambulance on his mitten phone. Then he made the siren sound and trudged his way over to me and assured me everything would be alright.

I thanked him for saving my life. We hugged.

"Okay, now I die!" he announced. And we switched roles.

Like I said, it's kind of a morbid game, but it's functional. And we were outside! We must have played for two hours in the wet snow. 

Finally after we were absolutely soaked, we went inside. I also found it ironic that it is now spring, but that was the most fun we had outside in the yard all... winter. I tried to wrap my brain around that fact, but I think it's because it was warm. 35 degrees is a balmy day. And the snow was so packy that we could build with it. Another plus.

Although we were wet, we were warm. And we had fun. And learned. And, hopefully made some people smile when they saw our snowmen partying on the roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment