Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Frogs and Letters

So there's this pond.  It's back in Clyde's field, next to the community garden and near the trailhead.

This pond has frogs in it.  Beautiful, metallic, fluorescent, croaking frogs.  They are the type of frogs that do that airy-balloon-throat-bowmp-type sound.  I am not a frogologist.  I don't know any specific language for them.

But I know the kids love them.

I took Captain Donny Jr. and two of his nieces out for a wildflower walk past the gardens, and the girls had to visit the frog pond first.  I mean had to.  That's fine.  B and I like the pond too.  Besides, kids don't pay attention to what you are telling them if they are distracted by something else. 

In this case, frogs.

B pointing to a frog

Brady P. can even spot those frogs in the pond.  Aster counted nine that day... I think.  They often appear and disappear.  Then we find another one once we hear it croak!  So fun.  I like to be a part of this type of entertainment for the kids.

And just look at these magnificent amphibians.  Their eyes look like they're made of copper!

One of the alluring frogs

B and I will always visit the frog pond when I go to the garden as well.  Once he hears them croak, he points and shouts, "Ah!" in their direction.  Yup, we'll go see the frogs!

Then he is so sweet.  "Biyee!" he says and waves to the frogs before we leave.  He is so inclusive.

Now if we were in our house, and one of his toys was singing about letters, he would find his toy frog animal when the letter F came up.  Because he knows that frog starts with the letter F.

When the letter B comes up, he finds a bear. He finds the camel for C and the kangaroo for K (Whaaaat??? He knows the difference???).  He finds the horsey for H and the zebra for Z.  The lion for L and the giraffe for G.  Need I go on?  How did this kid get so smart?

Do you understand what I am telling you? (Of course you do, your not an idiot.  But let me reiterate.) Braeden can hear a letter.  He must visualize the letter in his head because he can then match it with one of his animal toys that starts with that letter.  He finds that animal in his pile of animals, pulls it out and points proudly, making sure I see.

I just shake my head in awe. How many three-year-olds can do that?  Really?  I am so amazed.  What a little man.  Genius, I tell you.  Genius. I couldn't do that when I was three.  Or four or five even.

I didn't really like to learn to read, but Braeden loves it.  He will open his books and "read" each page by saying the letters or names of the things he sees (the best he can, you know). He is so hungry for knowledge and showing off what he knows.  

And good for him.  He will help to show this world how inspiring that extra chromosome can be.

1 comment: